Cherry Pits are Poisonous!

Posted by on Aug 16, 2012 in food related | Comments Off

Cherry Pits are Poisonous!

Everyone loves to enjoy a cherry from time to time due to their sweet and super tasty flavor. Cherries have become popular as a little fruit that can be snacked on, put it in drinks and a topping to an ice cream treat; no matter what the cherry is used to sweeten up, it is always a great addition to whatever it may be that you are consuming. Yet despite their sweet and delicious flavor there is one flaw to these little fruits. Everyone knows that inside of a cherry, is a little pit; but not many people know that the pit of a cherry is in fact poisonous!

If you consume a cherry pit, when you chew it up you are releasing a chemical in your body called cyanide. Cyanide is a compound that disables the ability of the blood in the body to transport oxygen around. Large doses of cyanide in one’s body can result to them unfortunately passing away due to asphyxiation. Some of the symptoms of cyanide poisoning include: confusion, excessive sleepiness, seizure, general weakness and even strange behavior.

Yes, cherries are a great treat but it is best to avoid the pits when you are consuming these fruits. A lot of people consume the pit of the cherry without even knowing that they contain cyanide and nothing happens to them, but that is because a single cherry pit really isn’t going to harm you. It is going to take a person to consume a large volume of cherry pits before they begin to notice any of the symptoms. If you consume cherry pits and begin to notice any symptoms of cyanide poisoning then it is best to contact your local poison control center immediately – other than that you just simply avoid the cherry pits!

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp